A new year means new beginnings--and a handful of resolutions. Although, this year, I probably have at least two handfuls. Lucky for me, taking the plunge into the ever-popular blogosphere will allow me to scratch a few items off the list right off the bat. Lucky for you, I’ve decided to spare you the nitty-gritty of each individual resolution. I'll give you a simpler rendition instead.

Essentially, my 2010 is about (re)prioritizing and approaching life with a sense of urgency.


Most resolutions derive inspiration from a sudden inclination for self-improvement. While my new-fangled outlook on life is certainly motivated by personal growth, it also stems from something much deeper: death.

Dugee’s death, that is. For those of you that don’t know, my step-dad battled a rare form of cancer called plasma-cell leukemia for the entirety of 2009, until his untimely death in late October. Death presents us with mountains of questions, some of which can be conquered and others that will remain un-scaled. The most ominous of these questions is “why?"

Unfortunately, my family will never know what caused the cancer, and as frustrating as that is, instead of dwelling on the unknowns, I’m going to focus on what I do know. I know that 63 is too young to die, especially when you’ve worked like mad to enjoy retirement and quality time with your family. I know that being healthy doesn’t always prevent disease. And I know that life is too short not to live it.

Of course, these are not grand epiphanies. In fact, they’re pretty much common knowledge, but all too often it takes something earth-shattering (like the loss of a loved one) to prompt action because we are creatures of habit and fall effortlessly into ruts and routines. Am I really as boring as chai tea lattes, reality TV, and cocktails? I think not. Don't get me wrong, I doubt I'll give up my Starbucks addiction, but there is so much more to life. My eyes have so much more to see!


I can assure you that I will slip back into the daily grind more often than I’d like; a full-time job will do that to you. Don’t think I haven’t considered selling all my things in exchange for a backpack and a worldwide pilgrimage. But I can also assure you that this year, and those that follow, will be filled with completely new experiences. So for now, I’ll work, but today is the day I start living because “‘Someday’ is a disease that will take [my] dreams to the grave with [me]”.

With that said, check back for more light-hearted posts and keep up with me and the adventures that ensue. Here's to Dugee and a Happy New Year!



Dugee and Me...I miss youDoug Rowell Skagit Valley Hospital


5 Responses so far.

  1. I love you and your blog!
    TO LIFE and Dreams and the next day...
    Patty
    (oh and to puppies ;)

  2. LOVES!!!! Can't wait to be a blog follower of yours. :)

  3. McMurrays says:

    Can't wait to follow your blog. . you are great writer! Thanks for the inspiration today!

  4. Carmen says:

    Nice Nicole, Doug would be proud :)

  5. So excited to follow your blog!! I'm so proud of you for starting one. Your story is amazing and so inspiring...love you!!!

Leave a Reply