Seeing is believing. And until you are standing above the Grand Canal watching the buildings drown slowly before your eyes, it's hard to believe it's real. Actually, I've been there, and it's still pretty unbelievable. 

Venice is spectacular-- a hundred islands woven together by a web of bridges and alleyways. It's impossible not to get lost, but aimless wanderers are welcome in this fairy tale city.





Mom and I spent hours rubbing elbows with fellow tourists in the bustling crowds. The smell of fish and flowers permeated the Rialto Market air, and although mostly under construction, St. Mark's Square boasted some of the most beautiful buildings I've ever seen.





Venice's most famous festival is Carnivale, a real life masquerade in St. Mark's Square. The festival is celebrated in February, but colorful costumes and glittery masks adorn shop windows on every corner all year. I can understand the pride Venetians take in their theatrical masterpieces; they are captivating. The French have a saying, leche-vitrine, or licking the windows, and I was doing exactly that every time the shimmer of one of those hand-decorated masks caught my eye.





Another famous Venetian festival, that we were fortunate enough to witness, is the Historical Regatta. Boat crews of men and women, young and old parade in one direction down the Grand Canal and then, in several heats, race back.



In the midst of the Regatta, love-struck passengers float by in gondolas as the gondoliers bellow in their rich Italian voices songs, that I assume, proclaim that not even a race can interrupt the romance that floods this city.



     

One Response so far.

  1. I heart Venice! Your pictures are fabulous, as always. :) Makes me want to go back right now!

Leave a Reply