I am ashamed to say that I have lived in Washington my entire life, and until last weekend, had never been to the Gorge. I've probably driven by it 499 times and peed in the Columbia River right below at least 100 times if that counts for anything? Actually, that just makes it worse, so nevermind.

When I found out the Zac Brown Band was performing at the Gorge in September I squealed. And then in recently-implusive-Nicole fashion, bought two tickets thee second they went on sale. I didn't care who ended up with the second ticket and would have gone alone if I couldn't bribe any of my friends to join me. Turns out bribery wasn't necessary. When I was home in August I mentioned the concert to Mic and Melissa and begged and pleaded that they go with me... Melissa said no. Balls! But Mic wasn't cool with that. He called me as I was headed out of town--actually I was all alone at the single most stressful place on earth (the IKEA warehouse), sweating, and struggling to maneuver two carts of household goods to the checkout line. Terrible timing, but we came up with a terrific plan... long story short: Mic, the sweetest husband ever, surprised Melissa for her birthday with a ticket to ZBB (my extra one), and my apartment is now partially decorated. I am still accepting house warming gifts, by the way; wine will do. 

So. The Gorge. More breathtaking than I ever imagined. I'd hang out there even if there wasn't a concert going on. But the concert itself was phenomenal. I am always wary of live music because sometimes you find out the band belongs in a studio--and nowhere else. Zac Brown Band belongs at the Gorge. Their music reaches a new dimension in person, like they are singing or strumming straight into your country soul; the violin intro to Free even moved this girl to tears.






Of course, the last song of the night was Country Fried...or so we thought. The lights shut down, and we were packing up our stuff when all the lights came back on and Zac confessed they were looking at a three week break... "So. What the hell?"..and they busted out RATM's Killing in the Name. Perfect way to end the night, and the perfect first Gorge experience.

One Response so far.

  1. Love you. Love the Gorge. Love Zac Brown. Wish I could have been there with you. Serious rain check needed!

Leave a Reply