As a little kid, I remember my dad asking me how old I'd want to be if I could only pick one age to be forever. I decided on 27. I don't remember the reason...I probably wanted to have boobs and a job (now, I just want a boob job)...or if there was any reason at all. Either way, I should probably start placing bets and playing the lotto because, based on how my birthday unfolded, predicting 27 as the ideal age was right on the money.

I typically have a few choice words for my alarm clock on Monday mornings, and last Monday was no different. But of course, I rolled myself out of bed and even made it to work early. This is a huge victory for me. So here I am, poking away at my keyboard, trying to be good at my job, when the office manager pages me and says there's something for me at the front counter. I'm not expecting any shipments... I wonder what tacky promo items someone is trying to sell me this time? A little perplexed and slightly annoyed, I make my way to the front, and my eyes instantly light up as I see an impressive bouquet and my name on the mini-card that accompanies all flower arrangements. Eeeek! I open the card: Happy Birthweek! Birthweek?! I am beaming. Shane knows me too well. I spend the rest of the day trying to focus on my 347 page document, but am distracted by my own excitement and the scent of pink lilies.


After work, I cruise downtown and treat myself to a set of fake lashes. Nothing makes me feel prettier, and I'm allowed to feel pretty on my birthday, right? Not to mention, now I get to skip the mascara application step in my getting-ready routine (which is often the only step). Bonus!

Maybe she's born with it.
Flirty lashes and unexpected flowers? Now I feel pretty and think I'm special - looks like I don't need a mom anymore.

With a Monday like that, I was getting even more anxious for the weekend, so the week dragged on like it always does when you're excited for what comes after Friday at 5:00 o'clock. Thank goodness for other birthweek surprises and treats to speed things along!

Finally - the weekend welcomes me with big open arms and a congratulatory high five. Time to celebrate! Saturday is looking like the perfect day to be out on the water. 8 friends, Shane, and I pile onto his boat. That's 10 people...safety third!!! Don't worry, one life jacket for every person. We soak in the day on Lake Coeur d' Alene - swimming, wakeboarding in no wake zones, and relaxing in the sun. Nevermind that we run out of gas on the way home, still an amazing time. 







Better yet, the night is looking like the perfect excuse to rinse the lakewater off our sunkissed skin and venture downtown for rounds of laughter and drinks. I think I may have had too many of both. Oh well. Successful birthday-eve complete!


My actual birthday is an absolute blast. The apartment complex I live in has a cute 7-hole Par 3 golf course and an even cuter clubhouse that I reserved for my birthday party, and Shane took care of the rest. Friends start arriving with their pitching wedges and putters mid-afternoon for the "Drink and Drive Best Ball Tournament." To be clear, that's lemonade and golfballs. Teams of two, one foursome, and one sixsome (um?). We get in as many holes as possible (um?) and race off to our co-ed softball game. Our softball team is probably the most hilarious/ridiculous group to ever set foot on the field: 18 batters in the line-up, pink uniforms, and a right-fielder with a cigarette in his mouth. And the level of athleticism is somewhere between Brooklyn Decker's jumpshot and your first impression of Eli Manning with his shirt off. But you cannot dampen our spirit! 1-1? We'll take it! Even the Mariners aren't a .500 ballclub.


We follow the game with a BBQ, beers, and Costco carrot cake back at the clubhouse to round out the night.To all the people who brought gifts, brought food, or just showed up, thank you just isn't enough! You made my day!

P.S. I can't leave this out...maybe the biggest surprise of the week...say hello to my gorgeous, new Coach bag while I say thank you to Shane! xoxo. I am spoiled rotten.

It was the best birthday ever, and I'm so looking forward to this next trip around the sun!



Leave a Reply