After another hour long van ride of unsuccessfully dodging potholes, we reach Got Okii Primary School. Got Okii is a low income school in Adiedo. To call a school in this part of Africa low income is ironic to me. Low income is implied, but still, the differentiation is made for Got Okii, and the need is apparent. Inside the classroom, students wiggle their toes as they listen intently to the teacher's lesson. On a good day, the teacher will have chalk to emphasize important points on the blackboard.


The students cover long distances in their bare feet to attempt learning without supplies or books, and many have never seen a mzungu, or white person, before. The vans are surrounded by children as we park, and getting out is a challenge. As I exit of the van, at least a hundred students orbit around me. When I remove my sunglasses, the sea of children erupts into laughter and playful hollers because there are a pair of blue eyes looking back at them. I squeeze through the crowd to make my way up the embankment toward the school office. Children run after me, and the brave ones tug at my hair, run their fingers through it, pet it. (Very) white skin, blue eyes, and light, long, curly hair--I have all of these strange features they have NEVER seen before.

The students continue to be mesmerized by their bizarre looking visitors. We teach Bible lessons, provide hygiene care bags, and learn the definition of an African single-file line when we hand out cookies to the entire school.





SOHI hopes to dig a well and extend child sponsorships to Got Okii in the future.

 

One Response so far.

  1. Merry Christmas ! Have really enjoyed the blog - the last few posts :)
    Hugs

Leave a Reply