Going into this trip, I didn't have a lot of expectations because I find travel a lot more rewarding if you just take it how it comes. But the Cinque Terre was an exception. All of my friends, and even strangers who knew I was going to Italy, insisted that I had to go to the Cinque Terre..."It's my favorite place on the entire planet", "That place is amazing. I proposed to my wife there", and "The Cinque Terre has the most beautiful coastline in the world," were just some of the rave reviews. Kinda hard not to have expectations after that, right?

Sad to say, the Five Lands that the world has fallen in love with, were deeply disappointing. Another reason I try not to travel with expectations; one is less likely to be let down. I had dreams of tank tops and cliffhanging hiking trails, but the weather decided umbrellas and and steamy, overcrowded trains were a better idea. The trails, the water taxis, the beach lounges--all closed.




It rained. And it rained hard. Cats. Dogs. Buckets. Mom and I only made it to Monterosso and Vernazza before taking cover for a quick lunchy lunch. Our shirts, shoes, and spirits were sodden, so we skipped the remaining three villages and sloshed (and pouted) all the way back to our hotel in Levanto.

Despite the torrential downpours, it was plain to see why the Cinque Terre attracts so many visitors: colorful buildings whose paint has been etched by the salty air, mesmerizing ocean views, and of course, the food. I hope someday I can cash in my rain check and bask in the Cinque Terre at its sunshiney best.





Leave a Reply