When I met Nick Koller, Lind was a dirty word. And Ritzville called for soap in the mouth. Lind-Ritzville was our cross-state high school rival, and we lost to them more times than I'd like to admit. Maybe if I bucked hay as a three year old I'd be that good at sports, too. Still bitter. So when Nick raved about what a great time he had at the Lind Combine Derby every year, I had two thoughts. One: what on earth is a combine derby? Two: watch your mouth--I hate that place.

I'm not sure how Nick convinced me to visit Lind or how he got me to say "love" and "Lind" in the same sentence, but I love the Lind Combine Derby. And to answer the question, a combine derby, for all us city folk, is a demolition derby that features ginormous "tractors." But don't you dare call them tractors, because they're not. There's also a lot of beer, Copenhagen, dust, boots, and friendly, down to earth people. 

Lind might be the only place on earth that has a combine derby, but don't knock it till ya try it. It makes me want to be from a small town. Plus, if I were from Lind, I'd have a few state championships under my belt.




What do I love more than the Lind Combine Derby? Oh yes, that would be traveling for work. Last week I was in San Antonio for a trade show. I doubted my survival in the heat and humidity being a Western Washington girl and all...

But a little Frizz-Ease for the curls and air conditioning for the rest of me, and I was golden. San Antonio has more personality than most U.S. cities I've visited, and the energy on the riverwalk was infectious. Every night we had Thanksgiving Day-sized meals, including the fattest, tastiest coconut shrimp I've ever laid my paws on. I almost cried when I couldn't eat the last one. Delish! 






And of course, there was the Alamo...



Let's just say I was expecting it to be bigger. That's what she said. This is Texas after all.

One Response so far.

  1. Nicole- you're hilarious! My cousin, Chad, actually participates in the Combine Derby in Lind. I don't know if I should be admitting this, but I am. His combine was called "Tater Salad". Yup. We're from the country and we like it that way.

Leave a Reply