Nothing beats a sunny day in Seattle.

And when I visited last weekend, there she was--the Emerald City--gleaming beneath the spring sun, seducing me with her sparkle. It never rains when I'm in town. She is such a tease. The 70 degree weather, azure skies, Mariners games, old friends, and thick ocean air are like the intricate components of a fishing lure--the perfect combination of color, texture, movement, and shine--enticing me to move back.

Seattle landmarks Mariners



good seats at Safeco Field


I avoided the hook this time around; we all know there are probably 360 days without sun in Seattle. So for now, as much as I love the place (and all my friends that live there), I think I'll forego the the heavy, gray blanket of clouds and the mild case of depression that go along with them. If I were an artist or musician I would probably reconsider immediately.

I'm not sure what spurred my sudden obsession with waterfalls, but there was no way I could bomb out of Seattle one more time without stopping to admire Snoqualmie Falls. Regrettably, in all the years I lived in Western Washington, I had never visited Snoqualmie Falls. I actually only cared about the place because it's the source of my favorite pancake mix (not because it's the source of 41990 killowatts of electricity). Duh.



Snoqualmie Falls Washington
The pancake mix will always have my heart (and my stomach), but the falls were spectacular. Just off I-90, the hum of passing cars is gradually drowned out by the sound of rushing water. The view is just as breathtaking as the drop in temperature that overcomes you as you approach the lookout. I probably stood at the viewing platform for a solid 10 minutes soaking in the rising mist, mesmerized by the water pouring over the cliff edge.

Snoqualmie Falls Salish Lodge

I am officially obsessed with waterfalls! And I am dying to stay at the Salish Lodge, perched atop Snoqualmie Falls, so I can wake up to the music of booming water and savor a gorgeous view and world famous pancakes!

2 Responses so far.

  1. I love waterfalls too!!!
    So glad you took some time to enjoy!!!
    P

  2. So... if neither of us go to the Salish Lodge in the next few years, I say WE GO! Not as romantic, I know, but it would still be fun. :)

Leave a Reply