I took a quick trip home a few weekends ago to visit family and to celebrate a major milestone for one of my best friends.

I arranged to meet up with a few cousins and a couple uncles to hike Oyster Dome. Talk about too many Vander Meulens on one trail! Our family trek provided endless laughs and gorgeous views of Skagit Valley. I truly believe the Pacific Northwest is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Oyster Dome hike

Padilla Bay Oyster Dome hike

Unfortunately, the trail was beyond confusing towards the top, and we didn't actually find Oyster Dome. We ended up at the Bat Caves instead. It wasn't quite the view we had anticipated, especially after 4 miles of steep, muddy trails, but still pretty spectacular.




The real reason I went home was to see my dear friend Melissa and to celebrate her graduation from nursing school. I could not be more proud of this girl. I can't even fathom all the time and energy it took to get through it. Plus, she is pregnant! School and pregnancy? Umm.. no thank you. But she did it because she is amazing.




One Response so far.

  1. John says:

    That was a fun day, Nicoley! Thanks for having the idea and then getting the rest of us motivated.

Leave a Reply